I attend many events around the country delivering talks for various clubs and organisations discussing a range of topics including No Dig techniques for vegetable growing. You can find a brief list of my coming talks below, or full details of future talks, shows and courses on my Events page.
Here is a description of a talk, see below for the most popular talk on no dig. I also speak on Winter Vegetables, Salad Leaves and Gardening Myths.
If you are interested, please contact me to discuss your requirements.
Many clubs charge for non-members to come, and often there are 20 or more, depending on location and advertising. The link below shows a poster for one of my talks in 2017.
Also contact Stephanie Hafferty for talks on garden potions and no dig gardening.
- Afternoon talk at Bleddfa Centre near Knighton, Mid Wales, 10th January - 10th January 2018 @ 3:00 pm - 5:30 pm
- Talk in Hereford, theatre near football ground 7.30pm - 10th January 2018 @ 7:30 pm - 9:30 pm
- Talk on inside soil, from the outside, Bruton 25th January - 25th January 2018 @ 6:30 pm - 7:30 pm
- Talk in York, no dig gardening 30th January 7pm, arrive from 6.30 - 30th January 2018 @ 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
- Talk in Durham 31st January - 31st January 2018 @ 7:30 pm - 9:30 pm
- Talk on organic, no dig gardening in Perth, 2nd February - 2nd February 2018 @ 7:30 pm - 9:30 pm
- Talk at Newton Dee near Aberdeen, 3rd Febuary midday - 3rd February 2018 @ 12:00 pm - 3:00 pm
- Talk on No Dig at Greenock nr. Glasgow PA16 8TT 3rd February 8pm - 3rd February 2018 @ 7:30 pm - 9:30 pm
- Charles’ talk at Ordshall Hall, Salford 4th February, 6pm - 4th February 2018 @ 6:00 pm - 8:30 pm
- Northern tour Jan 30th-Feb 5th 2018 - 30th January 2018 @ 2:00 pm - 5th February 2018 @ 10:00 pm
- Talk on no dig in Lytham St Annes, 5th February - 5th February 2018 @ 8:00 pm - 10:00 pm
- Talk on no dig organic gardening, Broadhembury, Devon - 7th February 2018 @ 7:30 pm - 9:30 pm
- Day seminar at West Dean College, Simplifying the rules Sat. 17th Feb. 10-3 - 17th February 2018 @ 10:00 am - 3:00 pm
- Talk to NVS Surrey 14th March - 14th March 2018 @ 8:00 pm - 10:00 pm
- Talk on No Dig for Leigh & District Gardening Club - 19th April 2018 @ 8:00 pm - 10:00 pm
- Talk on no dig gardening, Chilcompton April 24th - 24th April 2018 @ 7:30 pm - 9:30 pm
- No dig: save time, fewer weeds, healthy plants - 25th April 2018 @ 7:30 pm - 9:30 pm
- Talk on no dig at Thrift Farm, Milton Keynes 9th June 5pm - 9th June 2018 @ 5:00 pm - 7:30 pm
- Healthy Growth with No Dig Gardening, talk near Portsmouth - 2nd November 2018 @ 7:30 pm - 9:30 pm
“I’ve lost count of the members who have said how much they enjoyed it – I’m basking in your reflected glory for having booked you!! It was obvious from the number of questions at the end how involved and interested everyone was. You combined the expertise gained from experience with a delivery that gave advice pitched just right for the audience. So we were able to admire and learn without being intimidated – even if our rows of veg don’t quite look like those in your excellent photos!”
Christine Haines 2016, St Briavels and Brockweir Gardening Club
Everyone really enjoyed both your workshop and the talk – all the feedback scores were excellent Kate Newman, Garden Organic conference September 2015
May 2016 from Denise Hoogesteger, Chair:
“Thank you so much for the wonderful talk you gave to us at Westbury Gardening club. I was surprised at how many members and non-members were in attendance, as vegetable growing, I know, does not ‘fire up’ some of our older members, however I am just wondering now, how many may attempt to have a small raised bed for organic veg!
For myself, when I reorganise my veg beds I will know what to do.
Everyone, whether vegetable growers or non-organic gardeners, found your talk interesting, highly informative and inspirational. I don’t think we have ever had such a long question time at the end of a talk.”
“This was one of the best presentations I have been to of late. Charles Dowding spoke with such authority in a warm, almost self-effacing manner. The time flew by and I came away enthused and determined to adopt a no dig approach to growing this season and beyond.”
From a feedback form to the Garden Museum, London 10.03.15
Your talk to us last Thursday certainly put paid to many of the myths about vegetable growing and will save a lot of work in the future.
Chris Donaldson, Four Villages Hort. Society November 2015
“Thank you very much for coming and talking to our club last evening, your talk was very interesting and your slides demonstrated what you have done with a bare field.
I think all our members will be trying your idea of Growing without Digging on some of their gardens this year, I’m pleased to say that I am in my second season without digging this year and certainly didn’t have as many weeds last year.”
Henry Smith, Chideock Discussion Club, Dorset, February 2015
A summary of my No Dig talk
Fully illustrated, 60-75 minutes on how to encourage soil life and enjoy harvests for less time and effort, followed by questions and answers.
Charles explains how he makes, buys and uses compost of different kinds.
How to clear perennial weeds with mulches, including couch grass and bindweed.
How to maintain a no dig plot, with an annual mulch of compost.
As well as hearing all the time saving tips, you see photos of the trials Charles runs to compare the effects on growth of dig/no dig, different composts and no rotation.
Charles explains these other benefits of no dig:
- earlier harvests thanks to a dark surface and busy soil life
- fewer weeds, especially in summer and autumn
- a smaller area needed to crop the same amount
- less watering
- soil drains well thanks to undisturbed channels made by worms and other organisms
- a longer harvest season, because successional sowing and planting in summer is so easy
And Charles gives a special mention for salads, with tips on sowing and picking, to keep plants producing for longer.