Will it be too late to make a no dig bed?

HomeForumsNo dig gardeningPreparing the groundWill it be too late to make a no dig bed?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Amanda 10 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Amanda
    Participant

This will be my first year as a no dig gardener after 40 years of madly digging. I have already created several beds over the winter, but two of my beds currently have purple sprouting broccoli and winter cauliflower, these will not be removed until about May. Will it be too late to then cover the bed with a deep layer of compost.
    My Christmas presents included three of your books and I am hooked, it all makes such perfect sense.

Jacob Lockcuff
    Participant

I’m no expert, but couldn’t you place the compost around the plants? I suppose it depends on the depth you are laying on.

Amanda
    Participant

Hadn’t thought of that, I am starting a new bed so would 4 inches of compost be too much piled up around the stems?

Jacob Lockcuff
    Participant

Personally I don’t see why not. Some say the stem will rot if buried in too much soil/compost, so you may just spread it around the plants, but keep the majority off the stems. When digging in the past however, I’ve always hilled soil around brassicas and planted very deeply so I’m kind of skeptical as to whether it will actually make the stems rot lol

charles

Jacob’s point is good, and exposes another of the many misleading myths out there, which confuse thousands of gardeners if not millions!
    Compost around stems is just fine, it’s akin to ‘potting on” except that plants are larger.
    And yes, spread compost around winter brassicas now to feed the soil, in readiness for spring plantings after they finish.

Amanda
    Participant

Thank you so much for the advice, I will be up there at the weekend spreading my compost.
    I can’t wait for the new growing season and trying out the no dig method, and I will carry on watching all the videos for all your great advice Charles.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.