Planting Asparagus Roots in No Dig Garden

HomeForumsNo dig gardeningPreparing the groundPlanting Asparagus Roots in No Dig Garden

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Cherry 1 month ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

celiacjean
    Participant

Love the idea of no dig gardening, yet to start but planning on doing so very soon. Been wondering how you plant asparagus roots in a no dig garden? The usual way of planting in soil is to dig down very deep at least a foot and place the roots and fill in hole gradually as the plant grows.

charles

No that is not “the usual way”. Thank goodness.
    Place crowns on top, then 4in/10cm compost over them has worked well for me

celiacjean
    Participant

What good news, I will definitely do it that way. Thank You.

Maria Mitchell
    Participant

Hi Charles
    How deep is the compost you add to the asparagus bed in the autumn? If I add too much in the autumn, will it delay harvesting?
    Thanks!

charles

It depends what you call too much! Up to 2in/5cm is good. If soil is in good heart and the stems are strong, 1in/3cm would be enough, to feed soil life and keep growth healthy.

celiacjean
    Participant

Charles, when I mentioned digging down a foot to plant the asparagus roots, I should have mentioned that I live in Nova Scotia, Canada and wonder if the method that you mention for planting asparagus would still apply?

charles

I wonder too, are you aware of problems with roots freezing in Nova Scotia? If so I would straw over in autumn.

celiacjean
    Participant

Not aware of roots freezing here but thought that was why they recommend planting them so deep, how much straw would you recommend for winter protection.

charles

Maybe then the winter cold is not a problem, I was guessing from what you said about a foot deep, and wonder if it’s another myth.
    One foot down there is much less life and activity in soil than say 3-6in.

celiacjean
    Participant

I just read that asparagus roots have a tendency to rise to the surface during their lifetime so maybe that is why they are planted so deep to begin with and not the winter cold as I first suspected.

Cherry
    Participant

I hope it is OK to join in this discussion as it is about mulching asparagus 🙂 I have an established bed with 3 year old asparagus which I moderately harvested this year. It was dug in, before I found out about ‘noDig’ method. Quite a few weeds are coming through though, including horsetail, but I am pulling them out or hoe lightly. I mulched last autumn with some compost but this year I acquired some well rotted horse manure which is quite wet atm. Would you advice to mulch with that after I cut the ferns off? would it be OK for the asparagus crowns should I keep the stems away from the manure? Thank you!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.