New Patch

This topic contains 10 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  charles 1 week, 4 days ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Rachel
    Participant

Hi Charles I am wanting to start a new garden bed. I have just had a burning pile removed, a whole 8 cubic metres of cuttings waste etc. The Patch left is weed free and black as we have good soil here. What should I put on top, was thinking a 50/50 mix of top soil and mushroom compost bought in from my nursery, or is mushroom compost better on its own, or is it too rich for very young seedlings/seeds? Also is there an easy way to convert your growing dates, times, recommendations to Australian temperate climate? Thanks Charles
    Rachel

charles

Hi Rachel
    I would use compost only.
    No need to add soil to what you already have. And bought soil has weed seeds + is often dead.
    Best check your climate against USDA zones, we are 8b here, if you are 8b you can switch by 6 months. Otherwise work it by first and last frost. But many dates would be similar eg onions.

Rachel
    Participant

Thankyou so much, Is Mushroom compost ok, I could add the compost with the slaters in it and your right it does have quite a lot of sticks. Would that still be ok to use? Thanks again.

charles

Yes mushroom compost is fine and it would be good to add some of your own with its lovely microbes, you could remove any excess (not all) wood to the current compost heap.

Rachel
    Participant

Hi Charles
    I have just had 3 metres of Mushroom Compost delivered, and plan to lay it about 4-5 inches thick over a Patch 4 metres by 6. A couple of people have told me it will burn the plants and be too strong for Veggie seedlings or seeds to germinate. Also that it is too alkaline and so I have bought a 25kg bag of chicken manure to add into it to boost the nitrogen. Should I add the chicken manure and if so how much, and will the compost burn the plants or be too strong. I don’t want to waste all the money I have spent on Seedlings. We are in 9b. Thanks Charles. Rachel

Rachel
    Participant

Hi Charles
    I have just had 3 metres of Mushroom Compost delivered, and plan to lay it about 4-5 inches thick over a Patch 4 metres by 6. A couple of people have told me it will burn the plants and be too strong for Veggie seedlings or seeds to germinate. Also that it is too alkaline and so I have bought a 25kg bag of chicken manure to add into it to boost the nitrogen. Should I add the chicken manure and if so how much, and will the compost burn the plants or be too strong. I don’t want to waste all the money I have spent on Seedlings. We are in 9b. Thanks Charles. Rachel

charles

It grieves me that so many people are put off doing good things by “free advice” that is wrong. So wrong.
    Mushroom compost is fine to sow and plant into, thousands of people do, including me. However adding chicken manure would not help and I am not sure where you got that idea, you don’t need it for the mushroom compost.
    Likewise the supposed alkalinity of mushroom compost is not a problem. I used it on already-alkaline soil pH 7.8 with great results, including for potatoes which are ‘supposed’ not to like that. There are many myths out there.
    My last load of mushroom compost was actually pH 6.8 i.e. neutral.
    Just don’t believe all the naysayers, follow the advice on this site, on my videos etc. Please also don’t expect me to answer every little question, the answers are nearly all here, you can use Search too.

Rachel
    Participant

Hi Charles and Thankyou for your reassurance. Today I went ahead and spread the compost to plant out tomorrow, I was in fact just going to do exactly what you said and not listen to the naysayers. I have used the search tool and yes I love the forum. I just wanted a little boost from you, the man himself to give me confidence I was doing the right thing, and Thankyou for answering all my questions so far you have no idea how grateful I am. I am putting all my faith in your methods!!
    Rachel
    P.S. I have also just purchased three of your books to help me along further including the diary I hope it will still be relevant even though I am in Australia, 9b.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by  Rachel.

charles

Nice to hear and 9b climate is not a lot different, switch six months and off you go!

Rachel
    Participant

Hi Charles I just had to let you know how Amazing my Garden is doing, it is doing so well, too well almost. It is so abundant I can hardly keep up. I did exactly what you said No Dig Mushroom compost on top and planted. It had done so well, Thankyou. I have told the people that said No you can’t do that how good it is and the guy who delivered the Compost is Amazed. I have given everyone your Website details. Thanks Charles, your Amazing!!

charles

Rachel thanks so much for letting us know about your wonderful results: I like the “almost too well”, guess you have an abundance.
    Great too that you are telling people as there is still a lot of resistance and people keep making work for themselves. Even the guy who delivered your compost!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.