manure and aminopyralid

HomeForumsGeneral GardeningVegetablesmanure and aminopyralid

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  charles 4 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

lizaliz
    Participant

Hi Charles

I have moved house and therefore am looking for a new source of manure.  Do you know what the latest situation is with aminopyralid contamination?  I cannot see anything up to date online.  Is it still a danger?

Best wishes

lizaliz

charles

You are right to wonder. I thought the same because any farmer who uses it has to sign an agreement to keep the hay on their holding, as it is acknowledged to be so poisonous to other plants than grass, cereals and brassicas.

However I have found some in a compost heap where I added some horse manure and inbitial enquiries suggest it is more widespread than I had realised.

However you can do a simple test, with half- or well-rotted manure: plant a potato in it, or sow peas, runner beans, which are fast-growing but susceptible. If early leaves show curling and the main growing point is deformed or curling, that is a.p.

It is almost certainly only in horse manure as hay-farmers have been persuaded to clean their hay of thistles, dacks and nettles. Whereas cow farmers feed silage which is cut younger, before those plants get going, and few of them use herbicide on grass (so far!).

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.