How much compost

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Don Foley 5 days, 20 hours ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Margaret
    Participant

Hello
    I have just taken over my late husbands allotment. He never bothered much about compost etc and as a result his crops were not very productive. As I am 71 I liked the idea of no-dig gardening so I thought I would give it a try. I am a complete beginner, and I would like to ask how much compost I would need to cover 4 plots of approx 14 sq feet each. I would be buying farmyard compost in 50 litre bags from my local garden centre. Also, if I sew green manure, do I not have to dig that in next spring?
    Sorry, a lot of questions, but I need as much help as I can get.
    Many thanks
    Margaret

Don Foley
    Participant

Hi Margaret,

By my calculations if you were to spread a 2″ layer on each bed you will need 65 ltrs per Bed. The depth you put on depends greatly on the current state of the soil, weeds etc.
    As for the green manure, some people just chop it down and leave it on the surface but most dig it in. I personally don’t bother with these manures preferring instead to spread compost on the surface. I’m sure Charles will give more comprehensive advice on that for you.
    If I could give you one piece of advice. As we are now coming into Winter I would suggest getting Charles’s Vegetable Course Book or his Vegetable Garden Diary. With the inevitable poor weather you will have lots of opportunities to read through these excellent Books. They will really help you to get started on the right path and ensure you are set up and ready for next spring.

Don.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.