Compost bins – ground prep

HomeForumsNo dig gardeningPreparing the groundCompost bins – ground prep

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  charles 4 days, 2 hours ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

SecondNature
    Participant

Greetings No Diggers

I have just taken on an overgrown allotment in London (waited 5 years). I was thrilled to find ten fruit trees and some soft fruit amongst the weeds. I am new but committed to No Dig and have prepped 8sqm for veggies so far 😊

I want to construct three compost bins from seven pallets discarded on the plot. The ground there is couch grassy and a bit hillocky plus teasles.

My question is – hat is the most efficient way to prep the ground under the compost bins?

Thank you!

Kath

charles

Kath simply fill those bins on the couch grass, it will die.
    However the edges are where some black polythene or v thick cardboard would be good. Put your pallets onto those light-obscuring covers.

SecondNature
    Participant

Thank you, I built them today. And I discovered a Japanese Wineberry on my plot.

JB
    Participant

Hi if you have couch grass i would just dig it up and turn it over so it decomposes back into the bottom of the compost mound

charles

JB save yourself the effort, and the worms too. It will decompose faster in undisturbed soil, with the compost materials mulching it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.