Companion planting: myth or fact !?.

HomeForumsGeneral GardeningVegetablesCompanion planting: myth or fact !?.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  John 1 week, 2 days ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

John
    Participant

Hello, I need an answer to this one. I sowed pea seeds in two double rows about 2 1/2 feet apart. Then….transplanted onion and leek seedling modules about 20cm distant from those rows along the full length of those rows.

I didnt look companion planting up before hand (forgot too, ahem).

Did I do the wrong thing ?.
    Should I uplift the onion and leek seedlings and transplant them somewhere else ?.

Thanks,
    John.

charles

John, this is not about whether leek/onion and pea are good companions, more about whether they will have space and moisture to grow. They sound too close because peas need a lot of root-run in the coming two months, so yes I would replant the leeks and onions further away.
    How far depends what type of pea you have growing, tall or medium or dwarf.

John
    Participant

Thanks Charles,
    I will replant them further away from them. I have a range of peas ranging in height from 35cm to 1.5 metres.
    I am thinking about sowing carrots a little further away but in the same place, possibly put onions and leeks on the opposite outside end. Although, I am thinking about planting them (leeks and onions) in a spot where I have had a large compost heap sitting since last autumn.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.