Cabbage seedling hardly grown for a month.

HomeForumsGeneral GardeningSowing and GrowingCabbage seedling hardly grown for a month.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Dawn 6 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Dawn
    Participant

I sowed brassicas at the beginning of march indoors, once germinated they went into my coldframe. Everything else has been fine, and are now under fleece at the plot (beetroot, spinach, spring onion, lettuce). The cabbage are ridiculously small, and with tiny true leaves, some of which are shrivelling. They are all in the same compost, and have had the same conditions. Calibraise and kale are a little better but also stunted. I have sowed more to replace them but wonder if its worth pricking them out into fresh compost. They are in 2″ modules so should have had enough nutrition. Any ideas?

charles

This is o strange thing Dawn. I would move the brassicas into fresh compost but most likely is that your new sowing will overtake them.
    Your other seedlings grew fine so it sounds that the compost is ok. Yet this should not happen!

Dawn
    Participant

Thanks Charles, I am a little reassured that you don’t know why this has happened either! I will use a different pack of seeds for subsequent sowings and see how I get on.

Dawn
    Participant

I’ve just repotted them all into new compost with some vermiculite. The compost was very dense in the old modules and wetter than I expected despite minimal watering. The roots were tiny so I wonder if they had been a bit waterlogged. No chance of that happening now.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.