Badger devastation

HomeForumsGeneral GardeningVegetablesBadger devastation

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Kiwioldgirl 4 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Amanda
    Participant

Hi, has any one got any ideas to stop badgers?
    We have had badgers move into the allotment site, so far they have dug up my whole carrot bed, destroying a sheet of enviromesh, eaten the majority of my sweet corn and trampled everywhere, breaking young cabbage and emerging seedlings.
    I am feeling very despondent, as the hot weather and drought and pests attacks on stressed plants have already meant very little veg this year.

charles

I wish I knew a way to keep them out Amanda.
    We are surrounded by badgers here and I just don’t dare to grow strawberries and sweetcorn. Not only for fear of losing those crops but for worry of the other damage you describe. At least here they do not go for my carrots, I just find a large hole every so often.
    Even if your allotments’ site was fenced, there is always the gate, sooner or later it will be left open.
    I would just avoid the sweet veg for now.

Amanda
    Participant

Thank you Charles, I was afraid you would say that. The whole allotment site is wire fenced, but as soon as a hole is blocked they bulldoze their way through at another point.
    I’m afraid I seem to get more trouble than most as my raised beds are full of worms. I think a 6 ft wall around my plot is the only answer.

GB
    Participant

Amanda – I had the same problem with badgers and rabbits, that in one evening can destroy so much produce and hard work. The solution for me was to install a solar powered electric fence. This is not a low cost option but it is safe, easily to install and works. If you would like more detail please just ask.

Amanda
    Participant

Thank you GB, unfortunately any type of electric fence is prohibited on our allotment site.

Cleansweep
    Participant

You have my commiserations. Little can be done in your circumstances, unfortunately they are a thriving species, much to the misfortune of hedgehogs , farmers and gardeners.Its likely that they are hungry this hot summer. Perhaps you could feed them off site? , although this is supporting the problem ,really.
    You may be able to co-operate with members and your council. Perhaps the council would provide chainlink fencing if you could arrange to install it.
    See :
    http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Ref/bookscontents/rspca-problems_with_badgers/6_Damage.htm
    Cleansweep

Kiwioldgirl
    Participant

Amanda
    I am sorry that you have badgers on your allotment. I have badgers nightly visiting my garden at home and causing havoc. I have bought two ultrasonic devices to see if they might at least keep the badgers off my peaches. This is an expensive option and nobody really knows if they work. However for me it is worth a try as nothing else has worked.

Amanda
    Participant

Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply, even if it seems an impossible task.
    Our allotment site is large, 42 plots, and the council have put 8ft chain link fencing and padlocked gates. The badgers just tunnel underneath, every time we find a hole we block it with corrugated metal sheets, but they just tunnel elsewhere.
    This year has been a really bad one for veg, drought stressed plants get more pests, and I am unable to get one site everyday, but us gardeners are optimistic beings, so I am already planning for next year with a fortified plot. I’m thinking Norman castle meets Colditz.😉

Cleansweep
    Participant

Amanda,
    You need to educate your council! The chainlink should have been buried so that only 6 feet is visible*. Perhaps you can get together with council and 42 plotholders to correct this during the ‘closed season’ .
    * and preferrably outward sloping
    Good luck.
    Cleansweep

Kiwioldgirl
    Participant

Forget the ultrasonic devices. Useless. Build an electrified wall six feet tall and two feet into the ground.

Amanda
    Participant

Thanks for the thumbs down for the ultrasonic.
    They have now tunnelled under the wire of my fruit cage and eaten all the fruit from my dwarf plum tree, as well as digging under my small pond.
    I’m afraid the nightly devastation is too much for me to deal with as I suffer with bipolar disorder, so I have decided to give up my plot.
    Thank you all for your help and advice on this and other topics.
    As I only have a tiny paved garden I will just follow this site for interest.
    Good luck to everyone with your no dig gardening.

Kiwioldgirl
    Participant

The ultrasonic devices have no effect on the badgers. I am cutting off the lower branches to about Five feet on the peach which is what I have done to the apricots and hope that the badgers can’t climb trees.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.