Seed saving/saving book

HomeForumsGeneral GardeningSowing and GrowingSeed saving/saving book

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Tristan 5 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Suzi
    Participant

Hello everyone! I was wondering whether you have some recommendations on a good book or website about seed saving/starting. I have been gardening for 3 years now, with quite goods results if I may say so myself and started my own plants from seed I got from other gardeners, but I plan to expand my knowledge in the area. I would like to save some heirloom vegetable seeds and also annual flowers and do it the right way. I do not know if is matters but I live in Eastern Europe, so summers and hotter and winters are colder than in UK.

charles

Good plan Suzi!
    I like Sue Stickland’s “Back Garden Seed Saving”, Ecologic books 2009.
    She explains the important things to know (cross pollination, isolation etc) and gives sound practical advice.
    I think your hot summers will help.

Rhys
    Participant

Suzi

I asked the same question of Charles back in the autumn and bought this book back then. It is an excellent read. You should be able to source it through http://www.abebooks.co.uk, who I find a useful outlet for sourcing less mainstream books, if more usual channels prove challenging.

Suzi
    Participant

Thank you so much for the advice. I feel this will be a great gardening year!

Tristan
    Participant

Just to add to the useful advice already given

Take a look at realseeds website, loads of useful info and even free plans for a threshing/winnowing machine if you plan to do a lot.

As for books, one of my favourites is ‘The Seed Saver’s Handbook’, by J Cherfas , M & J Fanton. It’s out of print but often pops up on used book sites.

Hope this helps,

Tristan

Tristan

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.